- 1 1/2 cups gingersnap cookie crumbs
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 medium pears, peeled, cored, and cubed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Vanilla ice cream
How to Make It
Combine cookie crumbs and butter in a small mixing bowl; mix well. Press half of mixture into bottom of a lightly greased 8-inch square baking dish; reserve remaining mixture, and set aside.
Combine 2 cups sugar, water, and salt in a medium saucepan; cook until sugar dissolves. Add pears; cook over medium heat 15 minutes or just until pears are tender.
Remove saucepan from heat, and drain, reserving 1/4 cup syrup. Place pears in prepared dish; pour lemon juice and reserved syrup over top. Combine brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg; sprinkle over pears. Top with remaining cookie crumb mixture.
Bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Spoon into individual serving dishes, and serve warm with ice cream.