Yum! I used almond biscotti instead of amaretti cookies (didn't want to track them down at a specialty shop.) Turned out great!
Pear Crisp with Amaretti Topping
Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Jan Gautro
Look for amaretti cookies at specialty stores and gourmet grocers. And choose slightly under-ripe, firm pears.
Yield: 9 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 320
- Fat: 14.7g
- Saturated fat: 8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 3.4g
- Carbohydrate: 46.7g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Cholesterol: 38mg
- Iron: 0.9mg
- Sodium: 114mg
- Calcium: 47mg
- 6 peeled Anjou or Bartlett pears, cored and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 2.85 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons), divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Cooking spray
- 12 amaretti cookies (Italian almond macaroons)
- 6 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Place pears in a large bowl. Sprinkle with 6 tablespoons brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, juice, and salt; toss well to coat. Transfer mixture to an 11 x 7–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 3. Place cookies in a food processor; process until finely ground. Weigh or lightly spoon remaining 2.25 ounces (about 1/2 cup) flour into a dry measuring cup. Combine 2.25 ounces flour, cookie crumbs, and remaining 2 tablespoons brown sugar in a medium bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in nuts. Sprinkle crumb mixture evenly over pear mixture. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until pears are tender. Let stand 10 minutes.
- 4. Combine cream and powdered sugar in a medium bowl. Beat with a mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form. Divide crisp evenly among 9 bowls; top each serving with about 1 tablespoon whipped cream.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note