If you make the fruit mixture and dough ahead of time, you can assemble the cobbler just before dinner and serve it fresh and warm from the oven.
6 cups sliced peeled pear (3 pounds)
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour or all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons chilled stick margarine, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup skim milk
2 teaspoons margarine, melted
1 tablespoon brown sugar
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350°.
Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; toss gently to coat. Spoon pear mixture into an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray.
Combine 1/2 cup all-purpose flour and next 4 ingredients (1/2 cup all-purpose flour through salt) in a medium bowl, and cut in 2 tablespoons chilled margarine with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add milk, and toss with a fork until flour mixture is moist.
Drop dough by heaping tablespoons onto pear mixture. Brush melted margarine over dough, and sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly.
This was pretty good and tasted healthy even with all of the sugar. ;) I would make it again. Cook time was perfect.
Here are the things I did differently from the recipe and why:
1. I used millet flour for the flour that gets mixed with the pears – just for added nutrition.
2. I used real butter rather than margarine – because I don't buy margarine – you could probably substitute applesauce for the butter to make this even healthier.
3. My apple pie spice was from another recipe that I mixed up years ago rather than the store bought variety.
4. I didn't have skim milk on hand, so I used whole milk.
5. I used 7 pears because my pears were pretty small and I needed to use them before they went bad. I felt like I could have easily used about 2 more small pears.
Eat Well. Lose Weight. Live Healthy. Delicious and healthy recipes customized for you!