- 4 1/2 pounds firm ripe pears, peeled and chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, minced
- 1 cup raisins
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 cup crystallized ginger, chopped
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 (3-ounce) package liquid pectin
- calories 156
- fat 0.3 g
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
- sodium 109 mg
How to Make It
Bring first 12 ingredients to a boil in a large Dutch oven. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 2 hours or until pear is tender. Stir in liquid pectin; return mixture to a boil, and boil, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Remove from heat, and skim off foam with a metal spoon.
Pour hot chutney into hot, sterilized jars, filling each to 1/4 inch from top; wipe jar rims. Cover at once with metal lids, and screw on bands.
Process jars in boiling-water bath 5 minutes.
Note: If chutney is not processed in a water bath, you may store sealed jars in refrigerator up to 1 week.