Pear-Cherry Pie with Almond Streusel
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 500
- Calories from fat: 36%
- Protein: 4g
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated fat: 8.7g
- Carbohydrate: 79g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Sodium: 192mg
- Cholesterol: 28mg
- 1/2 cup brandy or water
- 1 cup chopped dried sweet or sour cherries
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 quarts thinly sliced peeled firm-ripe Anjou or Comice pears (2 to 2 1/2 lb.)
- Pastry for a 9-inch single-crust pie, homemade or purchased (see notes)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1. Combine brandy and cherries in a 1- to 1 1/2-quart pan; cover and set over low heat just until hot, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand until cherries are slightly softened, at least 5 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix granulated sugar, cornstarch, coriander, ginger, and nutmeg. Stir in pears and the cherry mixture.
- 3. On a lightly floured board, roll pastry into a 12-inch round. Ease, without stretching, into a 9-inch pie pan. Fold excess pastry around edge under itself and flute edge. Pour fruit mixture into pastry.
- 4. In a food processor or bowl, mix flour and brown sugar. Whirl or rub in butter with your fingers until mixture forms coarse crumbs. Add nuts and whirl or stir just until combined. Squeeze handfuls of the streusel mixture until it sticks together, then coarsely crumble into 1/2-inch chunks over fruit.
- 5. Set pan in a foil-lined rimmed baking pan and bake on the bottom rack of a 375° regular or convection oven until juices bubble around edges, 1 to 1 1/4 hours. If pie browns too quickly (check after 30 minutes), drape dark portions loosely with foil. Let cool on a rack for at least 1 1/2 hours.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts