Pear Cakes with Praline Sauce
- 8 pears
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup flaked coconut (optional)
- Praline Sauce
- Garnish: chopped pecans
- Cut 6 very thin slices from center of each pear (do not core). Chop remainder of pears to measure 1 1/2 cups.
- Combine 3 cups sugar and water in a saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add pear slices, and boil, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes. Drain and arrange 8 pear slices on parchment paper-lined baking sheets, overlapping wide edges. Repeat procedure with remaining pear slices.
- Bake at 350° for 5 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Let stand overnight.
- Beat oil, 1 cup sugar, and egg at medium speed with an electric mixer until blended. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; gradually add to oil mixture, beating at low speed after each addition. Add chopped pear, pecans, vanilla, and, if desired, coconut; beat at low speed just until blended.
- Grease and sugar 6 (6-ounce) custard cups, and spoon batter into cups.
- Bake at 325° for 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in cups on a wire rack.
- Remove cakes from cups, and press a strip of pear slices around sides of each cake. Serve with Praline Sauce, and garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This