Pear and Apple Shortcakes
Photo: Charles Schiller; Styling: Lynn Miller
Yield: Serves 8
Cost per Serving: $1.48
More From Allyou
Amount per serving
- Calories: 604
- Fat: 30g
- Saturated fat: 19g
- Protein: 6g
- Carbohydrate: 80g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 107mg
- Sodium: 338mg
- 3 firm-ripe pears (such as Bosc)
- 3 Granny Smith or other tart apples
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves, warmed
- 6 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling on biscuits
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Peel, core and cut pears and apples into chunks. In a large bowl, toss fruit with preserves, brown sugar, lemon juice, 1 tsp. cinnamon and 2 Tbsp. water. Spread mixture in a 13" x 9" baking dish and bake, stirring occasionally, until fruit is soft but still holds its shape, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and cool to room temperature.
- 2. Raise oven temperature to 425ºF. In a large bowl, mix flour, 1/4 cup sugar, remaining cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Blend in butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Mix sour cream and buttermilk and add to dry ingredients. Stir until a soft, sticky dough forms. Shape dough into 8 2-inch-thick disks and place 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Sprinkle with sugar.
- 3. Bake 12 to 15 minutes on two parchment-lined baking sheets, until pale golden. Remove from oven, transfer to cooling rack and cool.
- 4. In a large bowl, whisk cream until it holds soft peaks; whisk in confectioners' sugar.
- 5. Split cooled biscuits. Spoon some fruit onto bottom half, top with a large dollop of cream and top half of biscuit. Top biscuits with more whipped cream, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note