This is a delicious recipe, and it's so different I would serve it to guests. I marinated the tofu in 1 TB soy sauce for an hour before pressing it. I had no trouble keeping the peanuts on the triangles, but I moistened the tofu with three TB egg substitute (no water) and maybe that acted as "glue." Also, be sure to get the peanuts ground fine enough. I put the ginger, garlic powder, and crushed red pepper in the small bowl of the food processor along with the peanuts, so everything was rather finely ground together. Cooked jasmine rice with 50% light coconut milk, 50% water, and it was wonderful with the cilantro, red bell, and onion added. Made steamed green beans and a peanut sauce to drizzle over them and the tofu triangles, which do need a sauce. Any of the peanut sauce recipes on the CL site would probably be fine.
Peanut-Crusted Tofu Triangles
Tofu and peanuts both contribute magnesium to this dish. Serve this tasty vegetarian entrée with lime wedges for a bit of color and citrus flavor.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 3/4 cup rice and 4 tofu triangles)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 391
- Calories from fat: 35%
- Fat: 15.1g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 6.6g
- Protein: 17.6g
- Carbohydrate: 46.7g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 3.1mg
- Sodium: 748mg
- Calcium: 101mg
- 1 (14-ounce) package firm tofu, drained
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1 1/2 cups rice milk
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 large egg white
- 1/3 cup dry-roasted peanuts
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil, divided
- Cooking spray
- Cut tofu crosswise into 8 equal pieces. Cut each piece into two triangles. Arrange tofu in a single layer on several layers of heavy-duty paper towels. Cover tofu with additional paper towels. Place a cutting board on top of tofu. Place a heavy pan on cutting board. Let stand 20 minutes. Pat tofu dry with paper towels.
- Combine rice and milk in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in onions, cilantro, bell pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and keep warm.
- Combine 1 teaspoon water and egg white in a shallow dish. Place peanuts in a food processor; process until finely ground. Combine ground peanuts, garlic powder, ginger, red pepper, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a shallow dish. Dip one side of each tofu triangle in egg mixture. Dredge the same side in peanut mixture. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add half of tofu; cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned. (Watch closely to prevent burning.) Repeat procedure with remaining 1 teaspoon oil and tofu. Serve tofu with rice.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note