If I'd had two other people helping me then I could have had this ready on the table in 25 minutes. It took me more like an hour-but only because there were multiple steps that could have all been done at the same time. This was pretty good. Will make again. I ran out of panko/peanut dip before I ran out of tofu, but that's ok. This was definitely easy, but also really messy.
Peanut-Crusted Tofu Tacos with Tangy Slaw
Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Lindsey Lower
More From Cooking Light
Total: 25 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 506
- Fat: 28.4g
- Saturated fat: 3.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 12.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 10.1g
- Protein: 20.5g
- Carbohydrate: 46.1g
- Fiber: 5.5g
- Cholesterol: 53mg
- Iron: 2.9mg
- Sodium: 301mg
- Calcium: 131mg
- 1 (14-ounce) package water-packed extra-firm tofu
- 1/2 cup salted, dry-roasted peanuts
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 cups thinly sliced cabbage
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- Lime wedges (optional)
- 1. Cut tofu lengthwise into 4 (1/2-inch-thick) slices. Place tofu slices on several layers of heavy-duty paper towels. Cover tofu with additional paper towels; let stand 5 minutes. Cut each tofu slice, lengthwise, into 1/2-inch-thick strips; cut strips in half crosswise.
- 2. Place peanuts in a food processor; process until ground. Combine peanuts and panko in a shallow dish, stirring well. Combine milk and egg in a shallow dish, stirring well. Place flour in a shallow dish.
- 3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Dredge half of tofu in flour; dip in egg mixture. Dredge in peanut mixture. Add coated tofu to pan, and sauté 4 minutes or until golden and crisp, turning to brown on all sides. Remove tofu from pan, and drain on paper towels. Repeat procedure with 1 tablespoon canola oil, tofu, flour, egg mixture, and peanut mixture.
- 4. Combine cabbage and the next 4 ingredients (through jalapeño). Drizzle the cabbage mixture with remaining 1 tablespoon oil; toss to coat. Heat tortillas according to package directions. Place 2 tortillas on each of 4 plates; top each tortilla with 1/4 cup slaw. Divide tofu evenly among tacos. Serve with lime wedges, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes