If I'd had two other people helping me then I could have had this ready on the table in 25 minutes. It took me more like an hour-but only because there were multiple steps that could have all been done at the same time. This was pretty good. Will make again. I ran out of panko/peanut dip before I ran out of tofu, but that's ok. This was definitely easy, but also really messy.
Peanut-Crusted Tofu Tacos with Tangy Slaw
Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Lindsey Lower
More From Cooking Light
Total: 25 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 506
- Fat: 28.4g
- Saturated fat: 3.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 12.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 10.1g
- Protein: 20.5g
- Carbohydrate: 46.1g
- Fiber: 5.5g
- Cholesterol: 53mg
- Iron: 2.9mg
- Sodium: 301mg
- Calcium: 131mg
- 1 (14-ounce) package water-packed extra-firm tofu
- 1/2 cup salted, dry-roasted peanuts
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 cups thinly sliced cabbage
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- Lime wedges (optional)
- 1. Cut tofu lengthwise into 4 (1/2-inch-thick) slices. Place tofu slices on several layers of heavy-duty paper towels. Cover tofu with additional paper towels; let stand 5 minutes. Cut each tofu slice, lengthwise, into 1/2-inch-thick strips; cut strips in half crosswise.
- 2. Place peanuts in a food processor; process until ground. Combine peanuts and panko in a shallow dish, stirring well. Combine milk and egg in a shallow dish, stirring well. Place flour in a shallow dish.
- 3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Dredge half of tofu in flour; dip in egg mixture. Dredge in peanut mixture. Add coated tofu to pan, and sauté 4 minutes or until golden and crisp, turning to brown on all sides. Remove tofu from pan, and drain on paper towels. Repeat procedure with 1 tablespoon canola oil, tofu, flour, egg mixture, and peanut mixture.
- 4. Combine cabbage and the next 4 ingredients (through jalapeño). Drizzle the cabbage mixture with remaining 1 tablespoon oil; toss to coat. Heat tortillas according to package directions. Place 2 tortillas on each of 4 plates; top each tortilla with 1/4 cup slaw. Divide tofu evenly among tacos. Serve with lime wedges, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This