Love the cake...don't love the frosting. The cake itself is very good, It has a very tender crumb and isn't too sweet. But, on the other hand, the frosting is way too sweet, and overpowering. But that might be because the recipe makes 3 cups! Three cups? What were they thinking? That's enough for a layer cake, not a 9 x 13. If I make this again, I'll use half the frosting recipe.
The South's favorite drink is a key ingredient in this moist Peanut-Cola Cake.
More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour
- 1 cup cola soft drink
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Peanut Butter Frosting
- 1 cup chopped honey-roasted peanuts
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Combine cola and buttermilk in a 2-cup measuring cup.
- 2. Beat butter at low speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until blended. Add eggs and vanilla; beat at low speed just until blended.
- 3. Combine flour and next 2 ingredients in a medium bowl. Add to butter mixture alternately with cola mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Pour batter into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch pan.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes.
- 5. Meanwhile, prepare Peanut Butter Frosting. Pour over warm cake. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts.
Total time includes frosting.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note