This was so easy to do and once I sauteed the onion, leeks and ginger I tossed it all into the crock-pot to finish. The only change I made was I subbed crushed red pepper for the ground and cut back to only 1/2 tsp, still had plenty of zing but not over powering.
Classic chicken noodle soup provides the base for Peanut-Chicken Soup. The flavor is further developed thanks to the addition of creamy peanut butter, sweet potato, and hits of fresh ginger and ground cumin.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 55 Minutes
- Calories: 336
- Fat: 15.2g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Sodium: 519mg
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 bone-in chicken breast half, skinned
- 1 pound bone-in chicken thighs, skinned
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced leeks
- 1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 3 fresh parsley sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 cups unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups cubed peeled sweet potato
- 3/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 6 teaspoons chopped unsalted peanuts
- 1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add chicken, flesh side down. Cook 10 minutes; turn thighs after 5 minutes. Cool; shred. Discard bones.
- 2. Add onion, leeks, and ginger to pan; sauté 10 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Place parsley sprigs and bay leaves on cheesecloth. Gather edges; tie securely. Add sachet to pan.
- 3. Combine peanut butter, 1/4 cup water, and tomatoes, stirring well. Add peanut butter mixture, chicken stock, 2 cups water, sweet potato, and ground red pepper to pan; bring to a boil. Return chicken to pan. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; discard sachet.
- 4. Ladle about 1 1/3 cups soup into each of 6 bowls, and top each serving with 2 teaspoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley and 1 teaspoon chopped unsalted peanuts.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note