- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 bone-in chicken breast half, skinned
- 1 pound bone-in chicken thighs, skinned
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced leeks
- 1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 3 fresh parsley sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 cups unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups cubed peeled sweet potato
- 3/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 6 teaspoons chopped unsalted peanuts
- calories 336
- fat 15.2 g
- satfat 2.5 g
- sodium 519 mg
How to Make It
Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add chicken, flesh side down. Cook 10 minutes; turn thighs after 5 minutes. Cool; shred. Discard bones.
Add onion, leeks, and ginger to pan; sauté 10 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Place parsley sprigs and bay leaves on cheesecloth. Gather edges; tie securely. Add sachet to pan.
Combine peanut butter, 1/4 cup water, and tomatoes, stirring well. Add peanut butter mixture, chicken stock, 2 cups water, sweet potato, and ground red pepper to pan; bring to a boil. Return chicken to pan. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; discard sachet.
Ladle about 1 1/3 cups soup into each of 6 bowls, and top each serving with 2 teaspoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley and 1 teaspoon chopped unsalted peanuts.