My meringues came out looking like a hot mess! They didn't "puff" up, and they stuck to the pan. It was fustrating being that it took so much time to cook. It DID still taste delicious though. My boyfriend ate whatever he could scrap off the pan. I will try again, but i will add more cream of tartar next time. Maybe then, i will get to complete the recipe.
Peanut Butter-Chocolate Meringue Sandwiches
Creamy peanut butter filling is sandwiched between chocolate meringues, creating a flavor reminiscent of chocolate-peanut butter cups.
Yield: 15 servings (serving size: 1 cookie sandwich)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 70
- Calories from fat: 35%
- Fat: 2.7g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 2.2g
- Carbohydrate: 11.2g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 0.4mg
- Sodium: 32mg
- Calcium: 7mg
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat peanut butter
- 2 1/2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- Preheat oven to 225º.
- Place the chocolate in a medium microwave-safe bowl; microwave at HIGH 45 seconds or until almost melted, stirring until smooth. Cool completely.
- Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper; secure with masking tape. Sift together 1/3 cup powdered sugar and cocoa.
- Place egg whites and cream of tartar in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until soft peaks form. Increase speed to high, and gradually add granulated sugar and then cocoa mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Add 1/2 cup of egg white mixture to melted chocolate; beat just until blended. Add chocolate mixture to remaining egg white mixture, and beat just until blended.
- Drop 30 mounds onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake at 225º for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Turn oven off; cool meringues in closed oven 1 1/2 hours or until dry. Carefully remove meringues from paper.
- Combine peanut butter and remaining ingredients, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Spread about 1 teaspoon of peanut butter mixture onto flat sides of 15 meringues, and top with remaining meringues.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts
Food & Wine