Peaches with Cornmeal Shortcakes from Martha Stewart's Living
Community Recipe from
- 1 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour (spooned & leveled), plus more for dusting
- 1/2 cup(s) yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) fine salt
- 2 tablespoon(s) granulated sugar plus more for sprinkling
- 1/2 cup(s) cold, unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup(s) buttermilk plus more for brushing
- 1 cup(s) cold heavy cream
- 2 tablespoon(s) confectioners sugar
- 5 cup(s) peaches, cut into 1/4" slices
- 5 ounce(s) blueberries (3/4 cup)
- 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and granulated sugar. Using the large holes on a box grater, grate butter into flour mixture. Using your fingers, incorporate butter into the flour mixture, breaking it into even smaller pieces. With a fork, stir in buttermilk until dough just comes together. Lightly flour a rolling pin and work surface and roll out dough into a 3/4" thick rectangle. Cut into 6 square (or rectangles).
- 2. Place dough square, 3 inches apart, on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush tops with buttermilk and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Bake until shortcakes are golden and puffed, 17 to 20 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack. (Store shortcakes, tightly wrapped in plastic, up to 2 days).
- 3. In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat cream and confectioners sugar on high until stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes. Cut shortcakes in half horizontally. Divide peaches among bottom halves, top with whipped cream and blueberries, and sandwich with top halves of shortcakes.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by marybillingsley and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Peaches with Cornmeal Shortcakes from Martha Stewart's Living Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts
More Recipes for Main Dishes