Tasty! Though I too added some heavy cream to the egg mixture and did not soak the bread nearly as long as the recipe called for. I also added some extra spices (cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and lemon peel) to the peach mixture. Rave reviews all around!
Peach French Toast
Photo: Mikkel Vang
More From Real Simple
Amount per serving
- Calcium: 140.25mg
- Calories: 504.5
- Calories from fat: 64%
- Carbohydrate: 36.2g
- Cholesterol: 260.05mg
- Fat: 36.12g
- Fiber: 1.97g
- Iron: 2.81mg
- Protein: 10.17mg
- Saturated fat: 20.71g
- Sodium: 416.11mg
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 ripe yellow peaches, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons plus 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 8 slices white or sourdough bread or brioche
- 3 large eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large skillet, over medium-low heat, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter until it foams. Add the brown sugar and stir for 30 seconds. Add the peaches, raise heat to medium-high, and cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons of the cream and simmer for 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
Heat oven to 200° F. Place 4 slices of the bread on a cutting board. Divide the peach mixture evenly among the slices, leaving a 1/2-inch border on all sides. Top with another slice of bread and press gently. In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs and cinnamon. Working in batches, soak the sandwiches in the egg mixture for 2 minutes per side. Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry 2 sandwiches until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a baking sheet and place in oven to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining butter and sandwiches. Beat the remaining cream until soft peaks form. Halve each sandwich on the diagonal, sprinkle with the confectioners' sugar, and serve with the whipped cream.
Tip: If you're using day-old bread to make the French toast, trim the crusts, which may have become tough.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch