NOTES: To speed prep time or when good fresh peaches are hard to find, substitute 4 pounds thawed frozen sliced peaches for fresh peaches. Serve with vanilla ice cream.
Prep and cook time: 1 1/2 hours
More From Sunset
- Calories: 345
- Calories from fat: 42%
- Protein: 3.4g
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated fat: 9.8g
- Carbohydrate: 49g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Sodium: 188mg
- Cholesterol: 46mg
- 4 pounds ripe peaches, peeled, pitted, and sliced into 1/2-inch-thick wedges (about 12 cups; see notes)
- About 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup (about 6 oz.) butter, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 2/3 cup whipping cream
- 1. In a large bowl, mix peaches, 2/3 cup sugar, and the tapioca, lemon peel, lemon juice, and vanilla. Let stand at least 15 minutes or up to 30 minutes to soften tapioca, stirring several times.
- 2. In another bowl, combine flour with remaining 1/3 cup sugar, the baking powder, and nutmeg. With a pastry blender or your fingers, incorporate butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add cream and stir just until dough holds together.
- 3. In a buttered shallow 2 1/2- to 3-quart baking dish, spread fruit level. Using your hands, crumble dough evenly over fruit.
- 4. Bake in a 350° oven until fruit mixture bubbles in center and topping is golden brown, 50 to 60 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note