Peach Blossom Cake
More From Southern Living
Bake: 40 Minutes
Cool: 10 Minutes
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon clear vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1. Beat shortening and butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating until blended. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating just until blended.
- 2. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla and almond extracts.
- 3. Beat egg whites at high speed with electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold into cake batter. Spoon batter into 1 greased and floured 13-inch oval cakepan.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pan, and cool completely on rack.
- Note: Repeat procedure for baking the second 13-inch layer. Prepare cake batter 4 1/2 more times. Spoon 10 1/2 cups batter into a greased and floured 16-inch oval cakepan. Bake at 350° for 40 to 45 minutes. Spoon 5 1/4 cups batter into 1 greased and floured 10-inch oval cakepan. Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes. Repeat procedure with remaining batter for baking the second 16-inch layer and the second 10-inch layer.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note