Fantastic recipe! My husband asked for just a bite and ended up having a full serving. Mom suggested using vanilla yogurt instead of plain. Will definitely be having this again before summer's peach harvest is over.
Peach and Basil Shortcake
Favorite summer flavors combine for Peach and Basil Shortcake--a real peach of a dessert!
More From Cooking Light
Total: 3 Hours
- Calories: 261
- Fat: 7.8g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 5.5g
- Carbohydrate: 44g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Cholesterol: 17mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 266mg
- Calcium: 119mg
- 4 cups sliced peeled peaches (about 3 pounds)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup small basil leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 9 ounces cake flour (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 3/4 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1. To prepare topping, combine peaches, 1/3 cup sugar, basil, and juice in a bowl; let stand 1 hour.
- 2. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 3. To prepare shortcake, weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flour, 7 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl; stir with a whisk. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or two knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in buttermilk with a fork just until combined (do not overmix). Spoon the dough into a 9-inch round metal baking pan coated with cooking spray. Gently brush the dough with milk. Sprinkle with remaining sugar and almonds.
- 4. Bake at 400° for 23 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in pan on a wire rack. Remove shortcake from pan; cool completely on wire rack.
- 5. Cut shortcake into 12 wedges. Top each with 1/3 cup peach mixture and 1 tablespoon yogurt.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note