Fantastic recipe! My husband asked for just a bite and ended up having a full serving. Mom suggested using vanilla yogurt instead of plain. Will definitely be having this again before summer's peach harvest is over.
Peach and Basil Shortcake
Photo: Romulo Yanes; Food Styling: Simon Andrews; Prop Styling: Helen Crowther
More From Cooking Light
Total: 3 Hours
Amount per serving
- Calories: 261
- Fat: 7.8g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 5.5g
- Carbohydrate: 44g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Cholesterol: 17mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 266mg
- Calcium: 119mg
- 4 cups sliced peeled peaches (about 3 pounds)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup small basil leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 9 ounces cake flour (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 3/4 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1. To prepare topping, combine peaches, 1/3 cup sugar, basil, and juice in a bowl; let stand 1 hour.
- 2. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 3. To prepare shortcake, weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flour, 7 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl; stir with a whisk. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or two knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in buttermilk with a fork just until combined (do not overmix). Spoon the dough into a 9-inch round metal baking pan coated with cooking spray. Gently brush the dough with milk. Sprinkle with remaining sugar and almonds.
- 4. Bake at 400° for 23 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in pan on a wire rack. Remove shortcake from pan; cool completely on wire rack.
- 5. Cut shortcake into 12 wedges. Top each with 1/3 cup peach mixture and 1 tablespoon yogurt.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note