I made triple the recipe. I have to concur with Angelyn the sweet and salty combination made this the best ice cream I have ever had. I would have given it a 4.5 rating only because I think it was a little to sweet. Next time I will use some of the sugar to cook the peaches, leaving the corn syrup out of the recipe altogher. Also 30 minutes of freeze time I stired the ice cream to make sure all of the ingredients were equally distributed, glad I did.
Peach-and-Toasted Pecan Ice Cream
Our users rave about this salty-sweet ice cream recipe. Serve in a dish or on waffle cones, as shown.
Yield: Makes about 1 qt.
More From Southern Living
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon table salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste*
- 1 cup peeled and coarsely chopped peaches
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1. Whisk together first 3 ingredients in a large heavy saucepan. Gradually whisk in milk and whipping cream. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 10 to 12 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat.
- 2. Whisk egg yolk until slightly thickened. Gradually whisk about 1 cup hot cream mixture into yolk. Add yolk mixture to remaining cream mixture, whisking constantly. Whisk in vanilla bean paste. Cool 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Meanwhile, cook peaches and corn syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, 4 to 5 minutes. Coarsely mash, and let cool 30 minutes. Stir peach mixture into cooled cream mixture.
- 4. Place plastic wrap directly on cream mixture, and chill 8 to 24 hours.
- 5. Meanwhile, melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat; add pecans, and cook, stirring constantly, 8 to 9 minutes or until toasted and fragrant. Remove from heat, and sprinkle with 1/4 tsp. kosher salt. Cool completely (about 30 minutes).
- 6. Pour chilled cream mixture into freezer container of a 1 1/2-qt. electric ice-cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. (Instructions and time may vary.) Before transferring ice cream to an airtight container for further freezing, stir in pecan mixture.
- *Vanilla extract may be substituted.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts