Pea Soup with Black-Cat Croutons
More From Allyou
Amount per serving
- Calories: 355
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Protein: 17g
- Carbohydrate: 37g
- Fiber: 12g
- Cholesterol: 18mg
- Sodium: 835mg
- 5 slices bacon
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large celery rib, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (32 oz.) cartons low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups green split peas, rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup sour cream, optional
- Make soup: Sauté bacon in large pot over medium-high heat until crisp and brown. Remove and set aside. Add onion, carrot and celery to pan; sauté until vegetables begin to soften. Add garlic; sauté for 1 minute. Add broth, water, peas, bay leaves and thyme; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover pot and simmer until vegetables are tender and peas fall apart, stirring occasionally, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Puree 5 cups soup in batches in blender. Return to pot. Stir in salt and season with pepper to taste.
- Make croutons.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls. Crumble reserved bacon on top. Add a cat crouton and a dollop of sour cream to each bowl.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews