Photo: Petrina Tinslay
More From Food & Wine
- 6 ounces lean bacon, diced
- 2 cups frozen baby peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 7 cups simmering chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups small pea shoots
- In a skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat until crisp, 6 minutes. Drain the bacon on paper towels; reserve 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat.
- In a food processor, puree half of the peas with 1 cup of water.
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until softened, 5 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring, until the rice is evenly coated with the oil. Add the wine and simmer until almost evaporated, 3 minutes.
- Add enough hot stock to just cover the rice and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the stock has been absorbed. Add more stock to cover the rice. Continue cooking and stirring, adding more stock as it is absorbed, until the rice is al dente and suspended in a creamy sauce, 25 minutes. Add the pea puree, the remaining peas and the bacon and cook, stirring, until hot. Remove the risotto from the heat and stir in the butter, reserved bacon fat, cheese and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with the pea shoots and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note