Pastrami and Mushroom "Hot Dogs"
Radical French-Canadian (Quebecois) Comfort Food. In this distinctive dish, Frédéric Morin stuffs girolles (chanterelles) in hot dog buns with Montreal's famous smoked meat. Demiglace, the rich concentrated sauce, is available at specialty markets. Recipe from Frédéric Morin and David McMillan, co-chefs at Montreal's Joe Beef and authors of "The Art of Living According to Joe Beef: A Cookbook of Sorts." Recipe published in Food & Wine: October, 2011.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 3 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter
- 3/4 pound(s) assorted mushrooms, such as chanterelle, stemmed shiitake and cremini, quartered
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup(s) dry sherry
- 1/2 cup(s) veal demiglace
- 1/4 cup(s) heavy cream
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon(s) cider vingar
- 2 tablespoon(s) chopped chives
- 1/2 pound(s) sliced pastrami
- 4 hot dog rolls, split and toasted
- 1 ounce(s) sharp Cheddar cheese or Mimolette cheese, shredded (1/4 cup)
- 1. In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add the mushrooms and season lightly with salt and pepper. Cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring a few times, until tender and browned, 8 minutes. Add the sherry and boil over high heat until reduced by half, 1 minute. Add the demiglace and simmer over moderate heat until slightly reduced, 3 minutes. Stir in the cream and simmer until thickened, 5 minutes. Add the shallot, vinegar and chives and season with salt and pepper.
- 2. Heat a nonstick skillet over moderate heat and melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter in it. Add the pastrami and cook until warmed through.
- 3. Fill the rolls with the pastrami. Top with the mushrooms and cheese and serve.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note