Pastel de Choclo
There are several interpretations of this Chilean chicken and corn casserole. Here, fresh corn cooks with milk until slightly thick, then whirls in the food processor until smooth. You can achieve similar results with frozen corn if fresh is not available. Serve this slightly sweet dish with Pebre, a pungent fresh herb sauce.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 328
- Calories from fat: 10%
- Fat: 3.6g
- Saturated fat: 1.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 22.6g
- Carbohydrate: 59.1g
- Fiber: 7g
- Cholesterol: 37mg
- Iron: 1.8mg
- Sodium: 766mg
- Calcium: 67mg
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 4 1/2 cups fresh corn or 2 (16-ounce) packages frozen corn, thawed
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil
- 4 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth or water
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Combine milk and corn in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Place corn mixture in a food processor; process until smooth. Stir in basil, 1 teaspoon sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Combine broth, onion, bell pepper, carrot, black pepper, garlic, and bay leaves in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, chicken, and parsley. Cover and cook 10 minutes or until chicken is done. Drain; discard bay leaves.
- Place chicken mixture in the bottom of an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with corn mixture; sprinkle evenly with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes.
- Preheat broiler.
- Broil 3 minutes or until lightly browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes
Food & Wine