Decent recipe, certainly easy to make. I picked it because I had a lot of kale to use up, happened to have fresh parsley, and always have the other ingredients on hand. I think it needs more flavor, but not any more salt. I dumped in about half a can of drained petite diced tomatoes just to give more flavor/color, but next time I would skip the tomatoes and add maybe a little roasted red pepper and one small or half a large cooked (nearly caramelized) red onion.
Pasta with White Beans and Kale
"I created this recipe one night after digging through my refrigerator. I found left-over pasta, home-cooked cannellini beans, and some kale from the farmers' market. I tossed them together with sautèed garlic, fresh parsley, and feta cheese. Not only is the dish super easy, but it is also loaded with folic acid." --CL Reader
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 325
- Calories from fat: 19%
- Fat: 6.7g
- Saturated fat: 1.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 13.6g
- Carbohydrate: 54.5g
- Fiber: 6.8g
- Cholesterol: 6mg
- Iron: 3.9mg
- Sodium: 793mg
- Calcium: 233mg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 cup chopped kale (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups hot cooked whole wheat penne (about 1 1/2 cups uncooked tube-shaped pasta)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 (19-ounce) can cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup (1-ounce) crumbled feta cheese
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add kale, broth, salt and pepper, stirring to comvine. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and simmer 5 minutes or until the kale wilts, stirring occasionally.
- Add pasta, juice, and beans to pan, stirring to combine; cook 1 minute or until mixture is thoroughly heated.
- Divide pasta mixture evenly among 4 plates; sprinkle each serving withi 1 tablespoon parsley and 1 tablespoon cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note