I've made this for years, so a house favorite. Now we have a LO (17 months) and are doing BLW. He doesn't like shrimp, but I subbed in small bay scallops and he gobbles them up. Yeah for a food that's not the standard spaghetti that we can share with the LO. Plus, it has "hidden" spinach. I always put spinach in colander and drain pasta over it so it wilts well while I am cooking the seafood and sauce.
Pasta with Spinach, Nutmeg, and Shrimp
Photography: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Lydia DeGaris-Pursell
Musky nutmeg naturally highlights spinach and pasta in this simple supper dish. For maximum flavor, always use freshly grated nutmeg.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: about 2 cups)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 496
- Calories from fat: 21%
- Fat: 11.8g
- Saturated fat: 5.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 35.3g
- Carbohydrate: 59.2g
- Fiber: 4.8g
- Cholesterol: 197mg
- Iron: 14.6mg
- Sodium: 685mg
- Calcium: 150mg
- 12 ounces uncooked penne pasta
- 1 (10-ounce) package fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 1/2 cups chopped Vidalia or other sweet onion
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup dry vermouth
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon rind
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain well; return to pan. Stir in spinach; toss well until spinach wilts.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt; sauté 2 minutes or until shrimp are done. Remove shrimp from pan; set aside. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in pan over medium heat. Add onion; cook 10 minutes or until tender, stirring often.
- Stir in broth, vermouth, and rind. Increase heat to medium-high; cook 8 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken. Reduce heat to medium. Add cheese; stir until well blended. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt, nutmeg, and pepper; remove from heat. Add shrimp and onion mixture to pasta mixture; toss to combine.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note