Pasta with Provençal Basil Sauce
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 449
- Calories from fat: 5.1%
- Protein: 23g
- Fat: 2.6g
- Saturated fat: 0.3g
- Carbohydrate: 97g
- Fiber: 21g
- Sodium: 459mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1 cup julienned or shredded carrot
- 3/4 cup julienned or shredded green zucchini skin (optional)
- 3/4 cup julienned or shredded yellow zucchini skin or more green zucchini skin (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup diced turnip
- 1/4 cup diced peeled russet potato
- 1 can (15 oz.) small white beans
- 1 cup tightly packed fresh basil leaves
- 4 cloves garlic
- 12 ounces brown-rice spaghetti or whole-wheat spaghetti
- Salt (optional)
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 3/4 cup diced tomato
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- 1. Cut carrot, and the green and yellow zucchini skin, as described in notes, above. (Save remaining zucchini for other uses.) Set aside.
- 2. In a 3- to 4-quart pan over high heat, bring broth, onion, celery, turnip, and potato to boiling. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until potato is tender to bite, about 6 minutes. Add half the beans and their liquid; return to simmering, then cook, covered, for 5 to 10 minutes to blend flavors. Keep warm and set aside.
- 3. In a blender or food processor, whirl remaining beans and liquid, basil, and garlic until smooth. Set aside.
- 4. Cook pasta, uncovered, in 4 quarts boiling water and 1 tablespoon salt until almost tender to bite, about 5 minutes; after 3 minutes, add broccoli. Stir in julienned vegetables and boil until just tender to bite, about 1 minute. Drain, rinse with hot water, remove broccoli, and keep foods warm.
- 5. Stir basil mixture into broth mixture. Spoon into 4 wide, rimmed dinner plates. Mound pasta in the center. Scatter tomato and broccoli around plate rims. Offer pepper and lemon wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Pasta with Provençal Basil Sauce Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Main Dishes