- 1 cup julienned or shredded carrot
- 3/4 cup julienned or shredded green zucchini skin (optional)
- 3/4 cup julienned or shredded yellow zucchini skin or more green zucchini skin (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup diced turnip
- 1/4 cup diced peeled russet potato
- 1 can (15 oz.) small white beans
- 1 cup tightly packed fresh basil leaves
- 4 cloves garlic
- 12 ounces brown-rice spaghetti or whole-wheat spaghetti
- Salt (optional)
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 3/4 cup diced tomato
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- calories 449
- caloriesfromfat 5.1 %
- protein 23 g
- fat 2.6 g
- satfat 0.3 g
- carbohydrate 97 g
- fiber 21 g
- sodium 459 mg
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
How to Make It
Cut carrot, and the green and yellow zucchini skin, as described in notes, above. (Save remaining zucchini for other uses.) Set aside.
In a 3- to 4-quart pan over high heat, bring broth, onion, celery, turnip, and potato to boiling. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until potato is tender to bite, about 6 minutes. Add half the beans and their liquid; return to simmering, then cook, covered, for 5 to 10 minutes to blend flavors. Keep warm and set aside.
In a blender or food processor, whirl remaining beans and liquid, basil, and garlic until smooth. Set aside.
Cook pasta, uncovered, in 4 quarts boiling water and 1 tablespoon salt until almost tender to bite, about 5 minutes; after 3 minutes, add broccoli. Stir in julienned vegetables and boil until just tender to bite, about 1 minute. Drain, rinse with hot water, remove broccoli, and keep foods warm.
Stir basil mixture into broth mixture. Spoon into 4 wide, rimmed dinner plates. Mound pasta in the center. Scatter tomato and broccoli around plate rims. Offer pepper and lemon wedges.