Hands down this is the best pasta dish I've ever made in my life. It was easily restaurant quality. I bought excellent mussels from Whole Foods and made the dish the same day I purchased the mussels. I really can't imagine why someone would get sick from this, unless they got a bad batch of mussels. It's also good to note that sometimes shellfish do not mix well with red wine, so if you plan on having wine with this dinner, drink white.
Pasta with Mussels, Pine Nuts, and Orange
Photo: Marcus Nilsson; Styling: Victoria Granof
This dish combines two economical ingredients, mussels and pasta, to create an elegant dish.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 490
- Fat: 15.7g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 5.8g
- Protein: 33.6g
- Carbohydrate: 53.7g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Cholesterol: 56mg
- Iron: 10.8mg
- Sodium: 889mg
- Calcium: 74mg
- 1 pound uncooked linguine
- 3 3/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 4 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1. Cook pasta in boiling water with 1 tablespoon salt for 9 minutes; drain.
- 2. Combine mussels and white wine in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cover and cook 7 minutes or until shells open; discard any unopened shells. Line a fine sieve with 2 layers of cheesecloth; place over a bowl. Strain cooking liquid through prepared sieve; reserve 2 cups cooking liquid. Remove mussels from shells; keep warm. Discard cheesecloth and shells.
- 3. Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add pine nuts and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add reserved cooking liquid, remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, rind, and juice, stirring well; bring to a simmer. Add pasta to pan; cook 5 minutes or until liquid thickens and coats pasta. Remove from heat; stir in parsley and mussels. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes