This is a family favorite pasta recipe. Like other reviewers, I reduced the amount of onion after I made it the first time. I like lighter sauces, so I used fat-free evaporated milk which did not change the flavor, but reduced total calories. We think the flavors are well-balanced, and love the skiitakes which have more flavor and meatiness than many other mushrooms. Overall, a great autumn dish.
Pasta with Mushrooms and Pumpkin-Gorgonzola Sauce
Serve a light pasta dish with a luscious cream sauce. Chopped sage, Gorgonzola cheese, and canned pumpkin add robust flavor to the meatless main dish.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 462
- Calories from fat: 13%
- Fat: 6.5g
- Saturated fat: 2.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 19.9g
- Carbohydrate: 83.1g
- Fiber: 7.3g
- Cholesterol: 11mg
- Iron: 3.7mg
- Sodium: 636mg
- Calcium: 265mg
- 1 pound uncooked pennette (small penne)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 cups thinly sliced shiitake mushroom caps (about 3/4 pound whole mushrooms)
- 4 cups vertically sliced onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon grated whole nutmeg
- Fresh sage sprigs (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Keep warm.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic; cover and cook 3 minutes. Uncover; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Combine chopped sage and milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer. Combine cornstarch and water, stirring with a whisk. Add cornstarch mixture and cheese to milk mixture, stirring with a whisk. Cook 2 minutes or until thick and smooth, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in pumpkin, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Add pasta and pumpkin mixture to mushroom mixture; toss well to combine. Garnish with fresh sage sprigs, if desired.
Any short pasta will work in this dish, but we did have a favorite brand of cheese--Saladena Gorgonzola. It gave the sauce a consistency more luscious than others we tried.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note