- 8 ounces uncooked long fusilli (twisted spaghetti)
- 1 3/4 cups (1 1/2-inch) slices asparagus (about 1/2 pound)
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup organic vegetable broth (such as Swanson Certified Organic)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Dash of ground red pepper
- Coarsely ground black pepper (optional)
- Lemon slices (optional)
- calories 351
- caloriesfromfat 29 %
- fat 11.2 g
- satfat 6.7 g
- monofat 2.9 g
- polyfat 0.5 g
- protein 11.5 g
- carbohydrate 52.9 g
- fiber 4.9 g
- cholesterol 35 mg
- iron 3.6 mg
- sodium 471 mg
- calcium 49 mg
How to Make It
Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Add asparagus during last minute of cooking time. Place peas in a colander. Drain pasta mixture over peas; set aside.
Melt butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic to pan; sauté 1 minute. Combine broth and cornstarch in a small bowl; stir until well blended. Add broth mixture to pan; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute or until thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in cream, juice, salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and red pepper. Add pasta mixture to broth mixture; toss gently to coat. Garnish with coarsely ground black pepper and lemon slices, if desired. Serve immediately.
If long fusilli is not available in your market, linguine works just as well. Garnish with chopped parsley or chives, if desired.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.