I absolutely love this recipe! I love clams so I usually make the sauce and clams for four but with noodles for two- for my husband and I.
Pasta with Fresh Tomato Sauce and Clams
Inspired by salsa cruda, or "raw sauce," this dish features a simple and delicious combination of tomatoes, chives, garlic, and balsamic vinegar.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 32 Minutes
- Calories: 332
- Fat: 7.9g
- Saturated fat: 2.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 15.4g
- Carbohydrate: 55g
- Fiber: 10.2g
- Cholesterol: 20mg
- Iron: 8mg
- Sodium: 563mg
- Calcium: 79mg
- 5 cups chopped tomato (about 4 large)
- 6 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, divided
- 2 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic, divided
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 8 ounces uncooked whole-wheat spaghetti or linguine
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 16 littleneck clams
- 1. Combine tomatoes, 1/3 cup chives, 1 tablespoon garlic, vinegar, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper in a large bowl; let stand 15 minutes. Drain mixture in a colander over a bowl, reserving liquid.
- 2. While the tomatoes stand, bring 2 quarts water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add 1 tablespoon salt and pasta. Cook the pasta for 10 minutes or until al dente, and drain.
- 3. Heat butter, olive oil, and remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic in a large skillet over low heat; cook 4 minutes or until fragrant. Increase the heat to medium-high. Add reserved tomato liquid, and bring to a boil; cook until reduced to 1/2 cup (about 6 minutes). Add clams; cover and cook 4 minutes or until shells open. Remove clams from pan, and discard any unopened shells. Add reserved tomato mixture and pasta to pan; cook for 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Top with the remaining chives.
- Sustainable Choice: Because they help filter the water in which they live, clams and other bivalves are sustainable superstars.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note