excellent I'm giving 4 for the changes I made -- but its really a five star recipe--- I plan to make again,and will go into my vegetarian recipe file, as we have been trying a meatless diet for the past year. I did add more broth - 1/4 cup each of white wine and cream -I added more fresh garlic and some basil. I pureed this in my vita mix and it came out very smooth and creamy- maybe the best way to make this sauce, to get the right consistency and not have it grainy -- don't skimp on parmasan or lemon juice. It had a lot of flavor.
Pasta with Chickpeas and Garlic Sauce
A whirl in the food processor transforms the humble chickpea into a creamy sauce for pasta—a sauce that is a hallmark of rustic Italian cooking. Bolstered with garlic, tomatoes, and parmesan cheese, this easy dish makes the most of flavorful kitchen staples.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 333
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Protein: 13.6g
- Carbohydrate: 57.3g
- Fiber: 6.6g
- Cholesterol: 3mg
- Iron: 3.3mg
- Sodium: 808mg
- Calcium: 92mg
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked medium seashell pasta (about 6 ounces)
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add crushed garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add salt, pepper, chickpeas, and broth; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.
- While garlic mixture simmers, cook pasta in boiling water 9 minutes, omitting salt and fat; drain well.
- Place chickpea mixture in a food processor, and process until smooth. Combine chickpea mixture, pasta, tomatoes, minced garlic, fresh parsley, and lemon juice; toss well. Sprinkle with cheese. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note