I didn't love this recipe. I didn't like the sweetness of the currants and the BF thought it was overpowered by all of the onion. I also wish the it was a little more saucy, the pasta was just kind of boring and needed something to make it more flavorful. I accidentally made a TON of this pasta and, unfortunately, a lot of the leftovers went to waste (which doesn't happen a lot in my house), so obviously this dish was not a winner.
Pasta with Caramelized Onion Trio, Arugula, and Mozzarella
Currants and the caramelized leeks and onions lend the pasta sweetness, which is contrasted by the peppery arugula. This is best served immediately after tossing.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 418
- Calories from fat: 28
- Fat: 13.1g
- Saturated fat: 6.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 13g
- Carbohydrate: 63.7g
- Fiber: 4.7g
- Cholesterol: 32mg
- Iron: 3.6mg
- Sodium: 584mg
- Calcium: 170mg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups coarsely chopped leek
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped white onion
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped green onions
- 8 ounces uncooked linguine
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups coarsely chopped arugula
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) cubed fresh mozzarella
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add leek, white onion, and green onions; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook 20 minutes or until leek and onions are golden brown, stirring frequently.
- While onion mixture cooks, prepare pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
- Bring the broth to a boil in a small saucepan. Add dried currants and vinegar. Add broth mixture, cream, and salt to onion mixture; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in arugula, mozzarella, and thyme. Add to pasta; toss gently to combine.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes