- 12 ounces casarecce or fusilli pasta
- 1 (28-oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 medium-size yellow onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/3 cup firmly packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1 (6-oz.) package baby spinach
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
How to Make It
Place first 9 ingredients and, if desired, dried crushed red pepper in a Dutch oven in order of ingredient list. Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat (about 12 to 15 minutes). Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, covered, 10 to 12 minutes or until pasta is slightly al dente, stirring at 5-minute intervals.
Remove from heat, and stir in spinach. Cover and let stand 10 minutes. Stir just before serving. Serve with Parmesan cheese.
Note: We tested with Garofalo Casarecce pasta.
Shrimp Pasta Pot: Prepare recipe as directed, stirring in 1 lb. peeled large, raw shrimp, deveined, with spinach in Step
Add shrimp, chicken, tofu, or broccoli florets or kale for some more protein and variation on this delightfully easy dish.