One of the top 3 pasta sauces I have ever tasted. It tastes like a pasta sauce from one of the many authentic Italian restaurants on Mulberry Street in Little Italy, in New York City. I highly recommend. The only change I made to it was not adding the additional sugar. The canned tomatoes have plenty of sugar in them already which made for the slightest hint of natural sweet. PERFECT!
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 (28-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (12-ounce) cans tomato paste
- 8 cups water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- Sauté onion and garlic in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat 10 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in diced tomatoes and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring often, 2 hours. Divide into recipe portions; set aside 3 cups for Eggplant Parmesan, and freeze remaining portions.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sauces/Condiments