This was decent, but surprisingly bland given the feta and olives. The amount of pasta water was a bit much, I think, and it might have dulled the flavors a bit. To salvage it, I cooked up a few strips of bacon and crumbled them into the pasta, added a couple teaspoons of the bacon fat, and added 5 or 6 chopped sun-dried tomatoes. That made it much better, although the leftovers still weren't very good. I think this recipe would be much better if the feta were incorporated into a sauce instead of just diluted with pasta water.
Pasta and Greens with Olives and Feta
Photo: Karry Hosford
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 cups)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 394
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 13.1g
- Saturated fat: 3.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2g
- Protein: 16.3g
- Carbohydrate: 59.8g
- Fiber: 8.8g
- Cholesterol: 16mg
- Iron: 6.4mg
- Sodium: 868mg
- Calcium: 291mg
- 1 (1-ounce) slice white bread
- 3 cups uncooked fusilli or cavatappi (about 8 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 cups torn radicchio
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 10 cup chopped spinach
- 3/4 cup picholine olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2/3 cup (about 2 1/2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 lemon wedges
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place bread in a food processor; pulse 5 times or until coarse crumbs measure 1/2 cup. Place crumbs on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 7 minutes or until golden. Set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water.
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add radicchio, red pepper, and garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add spinach, olives, and oregano; toss 2 minutes or until spinach wilts. Add pasta and reserved pasta water; cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in cheese, salt, and black pepper. Sprinkle each serving with 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs. Serve with lemon wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Pasta and Greens with Olives and Feta Recipe at a Glance