Pasta e Fagioli
Community Recipe from
- 1.5 cup(s) dried white beans soaked overnight and rinsed
- 2 onions 1 coarsely chopped, 1 finely chopped
- 1/2 cup(s) olive oil
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 stalk(s) celery diced
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2/3 cup(s) canned diced tomatoes with their juice
- 1 sprig(s) fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 5 1/2 cup(s) boiling water or stock
- 1/2 cup(s) parsley minced
- salt and pepper
- 6 ounce(s) ditalini
- Pecorino or Parmesan cheese, for serving
- 1. Place beans in a large, heavy saucepan, add water to cover to a depth of 1 inch, and set over high heat. Add coarsely chopped onion, bring the pot to a boil, and then turn down to a simmer and let cook until the onion has almost disintegrated and the beans are almost tender, about 1 hour.
- 2. Drain the beans and onions, reserving the cooking liquid. Transfer about a cup of the liquid and about a cup of the beans (with some of the cooked onions) to a food processor. Buzz smooth and set aside.
- 3. Toward the end of the bean cooking time, heat the oil in a large, heavy soup pot over medium heat. Add the finely chopped onion and gently saute it until it begins to get limp but not brown, about 5 minutes. Add the carrot and celery, and saute until slightly tender, another 5 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, 1 more minute more.
- 4. Add the beans and their cooking liquid to the vegetables in the soup pot. Then add the tomatoes, rosemary, and pureed beans, as well as about 3 cups of the boiling water. Bring the pot to a boil, turn down to a simmer, then cook, covered, untll the beans are fully tender, about another hour. Stir, and add more liquid as necessary- the beans should be covered by 1 to 3 inches of liquid of simmering liquid at all times.
- 5. When the beans are soft, add half the minced parsley, salt and pepper to taste, and another cup of boiling liquid to the pot. Bring back to a boil, uncovered, add the pasta, and cook, stirring frequently, until the pasta is tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, adding more salt and pepper as needed.
- 6. Serve topped with cheese
This recipe is a personal recipe added by wonderwab and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Pasta e Fagioli Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes