- 1 1/2 pounds boneless pork shoulder cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 3/4 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- Natural or synthetic sausage casings
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium green peppers, seeded, halved and sliced
- 3 medium onions, halved and sliced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 pasta recipe or 1 1/2 pounds of spaghetti, cooked and drained
How to Make It
Assemble and attach KitchenAid® Food Grinder attachment to the KitchenAid® Stand Mixer. Use the coarse grinding plate, turn to Speed 4 and grind pork and 2 cloves garlic. Add parsley, red pepper, fennel seed, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/4 cup wine; mix well.
Remove coarse grinding plate and knife from Food Grinder. Assemble and attach the KitchenAid® Sausage Stuffer attachment. Grease Stuffer with shortening and slide casing on tightly. Tie off end of casing. Turn to Speed 4 and stuff pork mixture into casings. Twist sausage into 12 links and set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add green pepper, onion and garlic and saute 5 minutes. Add remaining salt, wine, olive oil and basil. Cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
Add sausages to pan and cook until done; drain fat. Add pepper and onion mixture to cooked sausages and stir gently. Serve immediately over hot pasta.
Note: Omit crushed red pepper to make mild sausage.
To purchase the KitchenAid® products used in this recipe, please visit www.shopkitchenaid.com