This was very good, although with a 16-oz box of pasta, I used 60-oz of tomato sauce and diced 3 tomatoes. That was the perfect combination of pasta and sauce for us. Also, it was VERY spicy! My family doesn't eat a lot of spicy foods, so next time I may only use 1/4 of the amount of red pepper flakes (if any at all). I will be keeping this recipe to make again!
More From Southern Living Cooking School
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic (about 5 cloves)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 (28-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (29-ounce) can tomato puree
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 (16-ounce) box penne pasta
- 1/2 cup freshly shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese blend*
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- Garnishes: Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese shavings, fresh basil sprigs
- 1. Sauté garlic in hot oil in a 6-quart saucepan over medium heat 1 minute. Add tomatoes and tomato puree. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Stir in red pepper flakes and next 4 ingredients; cook, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes.
- 2. Prepare pasta in a large Dutch oven according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Return pasta and reserved cooking liquid to Dutch oven, and sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- 3. Stir basil into tomato sauce, and pour 3 cups sauce over pasta. Toss to coat. Serve with remaining sauce. Garnish, if desired.
- *1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese may be substituted.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This