- 3/4 pound pasta
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 thick-cut slices of bacon
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- One 35-ounce can diced tomatoes
- Pinch of sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
How to Make It
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until al dente; drain.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a deep-sided medium skillet. Add the bacon and garlic and cook over moderately high heat until the garlic is golden and the bacon is lightly crisp, about 4 minutes. Add the crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and their juices, the sugar and a pinch each of salt and pepper and cook over moderately high heat, stirring frequently, until the sauce is thick, about 15 minutes. Discard the bacon and stir in the basil.
Transfer the pasta to a warmed serving bowl and toss with the sauce. Sprinkle the cheese on top and serve.