- 1/2 cup virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced (5 cloves = 2 1/2 tsp)
- 1 can (29 oz each) Hunt's Tomato Puree
- 1 can (28 oz each) Hunt's Petite Diced Tomatoes, undrained
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 pound dry penne pasta, uncooked
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
How to Make It
Hands On: 10 minutes
Total: 40 minutes
Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat 1 minute. Add garlic; cook 3 minutes, or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomato puree and diced tomatoes with their juice. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low; stir in crushed red pepper, oregano and salt. Cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Cook pasta in large saucepan according to package directions while sauce is cooking. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water. Return pasta and the reserved cooking water to same saucepan; stir in cheese. Set aside.
Stir basil into prepared sauce. Remove 2 cups of sauce. Add to pasta mixture; mix lightly. Spoon onto serving platter; top with the remaining sauce.