- Salt (optional)
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- About 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 3 large plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 pound dried linguine
- 4 dozen littleneck clams, preferably small (4 to 5 lbs.), scrubbed and rinsed
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- calories 462
- caloriesfromfat 22 %
- protein 23 g
- fat 12 g
- satfat 1.5 g
- carbohydrate 60 g
- fiber 1.9 g
- sodium 386 mg
- cholesterol 34 mg
How to Make It
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for pasta. Meanwhile, sauté shallot and garlic in oil in another large pot over medium-high heat until softened, 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup wine and cook 1 minute. Stir in chile flakes and tomatoes; cook 1 to 2 minutes.
Boil pasta 5 to 6 minutes, or until halfway done. Meanwhile, add clams to garlic mixture, increase heat to high, and cook, covered, 5 minutes.
Scoop out 3/4 cup pasta water and reserve. Drain pasta and add to pan with clams. Cook together, covered, stirring occasionally, until pasta is al dente and clams have opened, 5 to 6 minutes. Add some pasta water or more wine if you want a juicier sauce. Discard any unopened clams. Toss pasta and clams with parsley.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.