- Cooking spray
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, with juice
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups (8 ounces) mezze penne or other small pasta
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 ripe beefsteak tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- calories 297
- fat 10.7 g
- satfat 1.4 g
- monofat 6.9 g
- polyfat 1.3 g
- protein 8 g
- carbohydrate 44 g
- fiber 5 g
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
- iron 0.0 mg
- sodium 509 mg
- calcium 0.0 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 450°. Spray an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
In food processor, blend crushed tomatoes and juice, chicken broth, and garlic. Pour into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir in uncooked pasta, 3 tablespoons olive oil, oregano, salt, and pepper.
Line bottom and sides of the baking dish with one-half to two-thirds of the tomato slices; pour in pasta mixture. Arrange remaining tomatoes on top. Drizzle with remaining olive oil.
Put dish on a rimmed baking sheet; bake 30 minutes, or until tomatoes are slightly crispy and pasta is cooked. Cool 5 minutes.