- 1 vanilla bean (6 to 8 in.)
- 1 cup (1/2 lb.) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 carton (16 oz.) ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped candied orange peel
- calories 231
- caloriesfromfat 78 %
- protein 4.4 g
- fat 20 g
- satfat 13 g
- carbohydrate 8.6 g
- fiber 0.0 g
- sodium 67 mg
- cholesterol 61 mg
How to Make It
Split the vanilla bean lengthwise with a sharp knife and scrape out black seeds.
In a bowl with a mixer, beat vanilla seeds, butter, cream cheese, and sugar until smooth. Add ricotta and orange peel; beat until blended.
Line a deep 5-cup mold with 2 layers of damp cheesecloth (if making more than 2 hours ahead, use a mold with a bottom drain--see notes--to get a firmer cheese). Spoon paskha mixture into cloth and pack down firmly. Set on a rack on a rimmed dish.
Cover airtight and chill until paskha is firm enough to hold its shape, at least 1 hour.
Lift cloth with paskha from mold. Peel back cloth, invert cheese onto a flat plate, and remove cloth.