1. Split the vanilla bean lengthwise with a sharp knife and scrape out black seeds.
2. In a bowl with a mixer, beat vanilla seeds, butter, cream cheese, and sugar until smooth. Add ricotta and orange peel; beat until blended.
3. Line a deep 5-cup mold with 2 layers of damp cheesecloth (if making more than 2 hours ahead, use a mold with a bottom drain--see notes--to get a firmer cheese). Spoon paskha mixture into cloth and pack down firmly. Set on a rack on a rimmed dish.
4. Cover airtight and chill until paskha is firm enough to hold its shape, at least 1 hour.
5. Lift cloth with paskha from mold. Peel back cloth, invert cheese onto a flat plate, and remove cloth.