I used the Pillsbury French loaf but I could not get it to make a 12.14 square! The pork mixture was fantastic, but we ended up making soft tacos with it because the French loaf didn't work out.
Party-Style Pork Empanada
Photo: Beth Dreiling Hontzas; Styling: Buffy Hargett
More From Southern Living
Bake Time: 22 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 251
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 7.3g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 14.4g
- Carbohydrate: 32.5g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Cholesterol: 52.6mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 473mg
- Calcium: 24mg
- 1/4 cup slivered or sliced almonds
- 3/4 pound pork tenderloin (about 1 small tenderloin)
- 1 (1.25-oz.) envelope picadillo seasoning
- 1/2 medium-size sweet onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (11-oz.) can refrigerated French bread dough
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (optional)
- Garnish: lime wedges
- 1. Heat almonds in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat, stirring often, 4 to 6 minutes or until toasted and fragrant.
- 2. Preheat oven to 375°. Cut pork into 1/2-inch cubes. Toss together pork and picadillo seasoning.
- 3. Sauté onion and pepper in hot oil in skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until tender. Add pork mixture, and sauté 6 minutes or until browned. Stir in raisins and lime juice, and cook 30 seconds. Remove from heat. Stir in almonds, cilantro, sour cream, and pepper.
- 4. Unroll dough on a lightly floured surface. Gently stretch dough into a 14- x 12-inch rectangle. Spoon pork mixture onto dough, leaving a 1 1/2-inch border. Lightly brush edges of dough with egg, and roll up, starting at 1 long side and ending seam side down.
- 5. Carefully place dough, seam side down, on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bring ends of roll together to form a ring, pinching edges together to seal. Lightly brush top and sides of dough with egg. Sprinkle with cumin seeds, if desired.
- 6. Bake at 375° for 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with salsa. Garnish, if desired.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Nueva Cocina Picadillo Beef Seasoning and Pillsbury Refrigerated Crusty French Loaf.
- To make ahead, prepare recipe as directed through Step 5. Cover with lightly greased plastic wrap, and chill 2 hours. Proceed with recipe as directed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note