- 12 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- 3 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese (about 12 ounces)
- 6 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 6 thin scallions, finely chopped
- Fresh cilantro sprigs for garnish, optional
- Optional extras: roasted poblano peppers, shredded cooked chicken, salsa, guacamole, sour cream
How to Make It
Prepare charcoal for grilling, heat a gas grill on medium, or heat a medium skillet or griddle over medium-high heat on the stove.
Grill tortillas (in batches), on one side, for 30 to 45 seconds; flip and top 6 of them with 1/2 cup cheese, 1 tablespoon cilantro, a chopped scallion, and any other toppings, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edge. Top each tortilla with another, toasted sides down, to create the quesadillas. Cook for 2 to 4 minutes on each side, or until cheese is melted and tortilla is golden.
Remove the quesadillas to a cutting board, and cut each into 4 wedges.
To Serve: Pile wedges on a platter, garnish with sprig of cilantro, and top with polbano, cooked chicken, mild salsa, guacamole, and sour cream if desired.
How kids can help: Choose the fillings and garnish the platter.