- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- Kitchen string
- 5 cups (1 1/2 lb.) peeled and thinly sliced parsnips
- 3 leeks, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 russet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Garnishes: sour cream, fresh chives, olive oil
How to Make It
Melt butter in a medium-size Dutch oven over medium heat. Tie thyme sprigs together with kitchen string. Add parsnips, next 6 ingredients, and thyme to Dutch oven, and cook, stirring often, 10 minutes. Stir in broth and 2 cups water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 15 minutes.
Discard thyme. Process parsnip mixture, in batches, in a blender or food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides as needed. Return mixture to Dutch oven, and stir in heavy cream.
Cook over medium heat, stirring often, 5 minutes or until hot. Serve immediately.
Note: We tested with Swanson Natural Goodness 33% Less Sodium Chicken Broth.