Parsnip Mashed Potatoes
Time: 45 minutes. Adding parsnips gives potatoes an earthy sweetness.
Yield: Serves 12 (6 to 7 cups)
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 171
- Calories from fat: 37%
- Protein: 2.7g
- Fat: 7.1g
- Saturated fat: 4.3g
- Carbohydrate: 24g
- Fiber: 4g
- Sodium: 267mg
- Cholesterol: 19mg
- 2 pounds parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-in. chunks
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-in. chunks
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted*
- 1/2 cup hot half-and-half*
- About 1 tsp. salt
- About 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Put parsnips and potatoes in a medium pot with enough water to cover by 1 in. Bring to a boil over high heat, then cover, reduce heat, and simmer until tender, 8 to 12 minutes. Drain vegetables and return to pot. Cook vegetables, stirring, over low heat 1 to 2 minutes to cook off excess moisture.
- 2. Mash vegetables in pot or beat in bowl of a stand mixer until very smooth. Stir in butter, half-and-half, and salt and pepper to taste.
- *For a nondairy kosher version, use extra-virgin olive oil in place of the butter and hot chicken broth in place of the half-and-half.
- Make ahead: Chill airtight up to 1 day; microwave until hot, stirring occasionally.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per 1/2-cup serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables