- 2 pounds parsnips, scraped and cut into 1 1/2
- 1/3 cup minced purple onion
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Peanut oil
How to Make It
Cook parsnips in boiling water to cover in a large saucepan 20 to 25 minutes or until very tender. Drain well.
Process parsnips and next 8 ingredients in a food processor until pureed. Transfer mixture to a bowl; stir in flour.
Pour oil to depth of 2" into a large heavy skillet; heat to 375° over medium-high heat. Using 2 teaspoons, shape about 1 1/2 tablespoons parsnip mixture into a fritter by rounding mixture between edges of spoons. Drop fritters into hot oil, 6 at a time, and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until golden, turning once. Drain on paper towels.
Transfer fritters to a baking sheet; sprinkle lightly with salt, and keep warm in a 300° oven. Repeat with remaining mixture. Serve hot.