- 1/3 cup raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 cups packed parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Romano
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- calories 181
- fat 19 g
- satfat 3 g
- protein 4 g
- carbohydrate 3 g
- fiber 1 g
- cholesterol 2 mg
- sodium 186 mg
How to Make It
Toast pepitas in a dry skillet over medium heat, tossing often, until seeds turn golden and start to pop, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
With food processor running, drop in garlic to chop. Pulse in parsley, lemon zest and juice, red pepper and 1/2 tsp. salt. Pulse in cheese and pepitas. Scrape down sides of bowl. With machine running, drizzle in oil. Season with salt and pepper.
Make it ahead TO FREEZE: Portion into ice cube trays. Add a little olive oil on top to help keep the pesto green. TO SERVE: Defrost frozen pesto overnight in the fridge, then bring to room temperature, 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.